Inn of the Sleeping Bull
The Inn of the Sleeping Bull is a place of lodging on Serpent Isle, located a short distance northeast of Monitor along the Serpent Highway. It stands on the site of the former settlement of Bulldozer, which was founded prior to the continent's sundering from Sosaria. It appears in Ultima VII Part Two.
DescriptionAvatar's arrival on Serpent Isle, owing to the teleport storms, the Inn was still home to a number of individuals either recently come from or intent on going to Moonshade.
By examining the inn's basement, an shrewd observer could find a maze of tunnels created by the establishment's founder, the pirate Silverpate. These passageways would lead to a small prisoner's cell, a series of magical levers allowing one to teleport into the inn's guest rooms, and one of the Serpent Gates created by the ancient Ophidians.
Looking at the register at the Sleeping Bull yielded the following names of previous travelers:
- Rodolfo of Moonshade
- Nakholy of Fawn
- Ensorcio of Moonshade
- Rishar of Monitor
- Batlin of Fawn
- Palos, manservant of Batlin
Legend holds that the land upon which the inn was built was once owned by a misanthropic mage who created a magical stone bull to kill trespassers. A local noble's son eventually made the claim that he could defeat the bull, and the mage welcomed his challenge, saying death would be the reward for failure and that the youth should win ownership of the property should he succeed. That night, the boy stole the ring from the bull's nose, turning it back into inanimate stone. The village that was eventually formed in the area, Bulldozer, was named for the huge stone bull that stood in the village square, although by the time of the Avatar's adventures on Serpent Isle, all trace of this statue had been lost.
The pirate Silverpate later built the Inn of the Sleeping Bull in the area, allegedly using the fortunes he had made during his days at sea despite rumors that he had secreted his treasure elsewhere. The property later fell to his son Donal, who passed it on to his own son Angus. At the time of the Avatar's arrival, however, Angus had mysteriously vanished, leaving his wife Devra and his son Argus in charge of the inn.
Later, after the three Banes of Chaos were loosed upon the realm, the majority of the inn's inhabitants were slain in the upheaval.
|“|| As icy temperatures have claimed more than one traveller’s life, especially during extremely cold evenings, several individuals have chosen to offer houses of safety and comfort for those on the road. The price is sometimes expensive, but to those making long journeys, it is often worth the charge. The Inn of the Sleeping Bull, located along the ancient Serpent Highway, is an excellent place to rest a weary body for the night. It once belonged to an enemy of mine, but he is long dead now, and the inn has passed on to more hospitable hands.|
- Angus: innkeeper
- Argus: innkeeper
- Byrin: bard
- Devra: innkeeper
- Ensorcio: exiled mage
- Captain Hawk: sailor
- Kane: shepherd
- Selina: mage
- Wilfred: knight
Things to see
- Some distance to the north lies the exploded powder mill.
- By picking the lock on the chest in the small room adjacent the kitchen and Devra's sleeping quarters, one may find a cache of 100 monetari, 45 filari, and 65 guilders.
- In the "Wardrobe Room" in the passages beneath the inn, one may find four fountains. The one in the northwestern corner grants the drinker invisibility; the one in the southwestern corner poisons the drinker; the one in the southeastern corner induces sleep; and the one in the northeastern corner cures poison.
- The upstairs rooms of the inn are all locked, but all of their doors can be picked except Room 3. Should the Avatar purchase lodging from the innkeeper, they will be assigned to Room 3. Furthermore, there are switches in the closets of all the rooms that result in whomever pulls them being teleported to Silverpate's hidden caves under the inn, providing that the teleporters have been activated.
- According to Spektor, the Inn pre-dates the founding of Serpent Isle's three cities. This seems to stand in contradiction, however, to the assertion that the Sleeping Bull was originally built by Silverpate, who is only three generations removed from Argus, the proprietor of the inn at the time of the Avatar's adventures on Serpent Isle.
Prices in Ultima VII Part Two were as follows: 
|Wine||8 (5) gp|
|Mead||15 (9) gp|
|Ale||5 (2) gp|
|Ham||20 (12) gp|
|Mutton||22 (14) gp|
|Trout||10 (6) gp|
|Cheese||12 (7) gp|
|Pastry||8 (4) gp|
- All prices are represented by: initial asking price (minimum price).
- Rooms at the inn were 8 gp per person per night.
- Argus. Paul Carr's Ultima Transcripts. Ultima VII Part Two. "bull's defeat, Sleeping Bull".
- Argus. Paul Carr's Ultima Transcripts. Ultima VII Part Two. "Silverpate, treasure".
- Spektor. Paul Carr's Ultima Transcripts. Ultima VII Part Two. "Sleeping Bull".
- Argus. Paul Carr's Ultima Transcripts. Ultima VII Part Two. "Silverpate".
- Hobbs, Sherri G. Ultima VII Part Two Clue Book (Ultima VII Part Two). Origin Systems, Inc.: 1993. Pages 53-60.
|Cities||Fawn ☥ Monitor ☥ Moonshade|
|Settlements||Inn of the Sleeping Bull ☥ Isles of the Mad Mage ☥ Monk Isle|
|Dungeons||Skullcrusher ☥ Spinebreaker ☥ Furnace ☥ Knight's Test ☥ Mountains of Freedom|
|Ruins||Shamino's Castle ☥ Castle of the White Dragon ☥ Shrine of Balance ☥ Temple of Discipline ☥ Temple of Emotion ☥ Temple of Enthusiasm ☥ Temple of Ethicality ☥ Temple of Logic ☥ Temple of Tolerance|
|Islands|| Claw ☥ Isle of Crypts ☥ Gwani Death Temple ☥ Ice Dragon's Lair ☥|
Isles of the Mad Mage ☥ Monk Isle ☥ Penguin Island ☥ Sunrise Isle
|Interesting Areas||Gorlab Swamp ☥ Great Northern Forest ☥ Ice Plains ☥ Knight's Forest ☥ Serpent Isle Guard Towers ☥ Western Forest|
|Settlements||Argentrock Isle ☥ Daemon's Crag ☥ Tenebrae|
|Other||Carthax Lake ☥ Catacombs ☥ Cemetery ☥ Fishermen's Reef ☥ Hall of the Mountain King ☥ Herdsman's Valley ☥ Plateau ☥ Shrine of the Ancient Ones ☥ Stone Cove ☥ Treasure Cove ☥ Vengeance Bay|