Realm of the Gargoyles
The Realm of the Gargoyles was the original homeworld of the gargoyles, located on the other side of the world from Britannia. Travel to the Realm of the Gargoyles was only possible through a dungeon or with the Orb of the Moons.
The Avatar unknowingly visited the Realm of the Gargoyles by the way of the Great Stygian Abyss in Ultima IV, entering the Shrine of Singularity to read the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom. After Ultima V, the collapse of the Underworld caused the Realm of the Gargoyles to begin tearing apart and falling into the Ethereal Void. These two events fulfilled the first and second prophecies written in the Book of Prophecies, directly precipitating the Gargoyle War.
The Avatar visited these lands again in Ultima VI by the way of dungeon Hythloth. At this time only a small part of the lands remained: the City of Investigation, the gargoyles' island place of learning and government. Several "pools" of void were also visible on the surface where pieces of the remaining land had broken away.
It is believed that the Realm of the Gargoyles vanished completely after the evacuation of the populace.
- Beh Lem
- Farmer Nash
- Farmer Krill
- Gargoyle Healer
- Lord Draxinusom
- Snake Charmer
- Wingless Gargoyles
- Arbpostermirvir:Gargoyle Farmer
- Axsimurart: Gargoyle Avatar
- Aukslorrelinlem: Apprentice Lensmaker
- Auxinmanilem: Apprentice Healer
- Inzenmeklem: Young Warrior
- Korpdesdeteraltlem: Gravedigger
- Lorrelinlem: Apprentice Lensmaker
- Silvidlem: Seer
- Termirinwislem: Gargoyle Child
- Tutimvaglem: Child of Snakecharmer
- Usagralem: Gargoyle child
- Usarbbetlem: Gargoyle Farmer
- Vasargsarpinwislem: Apprentice Silver Serpent Charmer
- Shrine of Control
- Shrine of Diligence
- Shrine of Passion
- Shrine of Singularity
- Hall of Knowledge
- Tomb of Kings
In Ultima Online
The Realm of the Gargoyles also exists in the 2009 Ultima Online expansion Stygian Abyss, which introduces gargoyles as a playable race in Ultima Online. The land is called Ter Mur, which is Gargl for "world". As the Realm of the Gargoyles never collapsed into the Ethereal Void in Ultima Online lore, the world is much larger and include several gargoyle settlements.
For more information, see Ter Mur.
The Ultima 6 Project
In The Ultima 6 Project, the Realm of the Gargoyles is divided into several lands, the main being Vas Ter Prilem, their seat of government and learning, and Manide Don, their place of agriculture. Access to Hythloth, the Shrine of Control, the Shrine of Diligence, and the Shrine of Passion is through a series of teleport devices.
- For a map of the main city of Vas Ter Prilem, see: Realm of the Gargoyles - Ultima 6 Project Map.
- For a map of the Gargoyle agricultural lands of Manide Don, see: Manide Don - Ultima 6 Project Map.
- There is a common and widespread misconception that the Realm of the Gargoyles and the Underworld are one and the same, likely originating from the line in the Ultima VI Compendium which states that the gargoyles had only been seen in the Underworld prior to their appearance in Britannia. However, the Compendium is written from the perspective of Lord British at a time when no human was aware of the existence of the Realm of the Gargoyles. Every subsequent manual contains the true origin of the gargoyles.
- In the Book of the Underworld, located within the gargoyles' Hall of Knowledge, it is clear that the gargoyles view the human lands as part of their Underworld. This reinforces the view that the Realm of the Gargoyles / Underworld misconception is race-centric.
- There is an exact replica of the Ultima VI map in Savage Empire; although, it can't be reached by normal means.
- Dr. Cat. "The Realm of the Gargoyles". Ultima VI Clue Book: The Book of Prophecy. Origin: 1990. Pages 60-61.
- Captain Johne. U6Edit. Ultima VI. "city".
|Cities||Fawn ☥ Monitor ☥ Moonshade|
|Settlements||Inn of the Sleeping Bull ☥ Isles of the Mad Mage ☥ Monk Isle|
|Dungeons||Skullcrusher ☥ Spinebreaker ☥ Furnace ☥ Knight's Test ☥ Mountains of Freedom|
|Ruins||Shamino's Castle ☥ Castle of the White Dragon ☥ Shrine of Balance ☥ Temple of Discipline ☥ Temple of Emotion ☥ Temple of Enthusiasm ☥ Temple of Ethicality ☥ Temple of Logic ☥ Temple of Tolerance|
|Islands|| Claw ☥ Isle of Crypts ☥ Gwani Death Temple ☥ Ice Dragon's Lair ☥|
Isles of the Mad Mage ☥ Monk Isle ☥ Penguin Island ☥ Sunrise Isle
|Interesting Areas||Gorlab Swamp ☥ Great Northern Forest ☥ Ice Plains ☥ Knight's Forest ☥ Serpent Isle Guard Towers ☥ Western Forest|
|Settlements||Argentrock Isle ☥ Daemon's Crag ☥ Tenebrae|
|Other||Carthax Lake ☥ Catacombs ☥ Cemetery ☥ Fishermen's Reef ☥ Hall of the Mountain King ☥ Herdsman's Valley ☥ Plateau ☥ Shrine of the Ancient Ones ☥ Stone Cove ☥ Treasure Cove ☥ Vengeance Bay|