This article or section is about the Ultima Saga series of novels. The information within may not apply to Ultima V or other Ultima games.
The linear spell of soothing hands is minor healing magic. It does little more than ease pain, relieve minor burns, and alleviate the common cold, but can be used to speed the healing process.
- Jordan put his injured right hand over hers. "You could sew this up. You've got to be better with a needle than I am.
- Althea shivered. "I can't even think about it. Doesn't drawing the gut through hurt?"
- "It hurts either way--but it heals better if it's cleaned and sewn. I always through there was linear healcraft--helping hands, or something like that?"
- "Soothing hands. I said I didn't have all the linear spells. I get stiff inside when I think of healcraft. Soothing hands doesn't work for me. I've made things get worse when I've tried, so I never do. Almost never. Except on myself."
- from The Forge of Virtue (Ultima Saga)
- If a mage is not able to concentrate, such as Althea when she thinks about healcraft, they can make the injury worse instead of better. Althea attempted to use soothing hands on herself after the fight with the harpies, and drew their poison toward her heart. Without a timely casting on An Nox, she could easily have perished.
- ↑ Abbey, Lynn. The Forge of Virtue. Questar Fantasy: 1991. Pages 269-270.