This article or section is about the Ultima Saga series of novels. The information within may not apply to Ultima V or other Ultima games.
Mother's-voice is a linear spell which allows the mage's words to affect the target's subconscious. While not effective against those that are alert or suspicious of the mage, it works quite well against children, spouses, and domestic animals.
- "Go to sleep, Squirt," Balthan said flatly.
- "You can't make me. I'm on watch."
- "I'm staying awake. I'll take your watch. Now: Go to sleep."
- The common name for the linear spell was mother's-voice, and there was considerable debate in the Lyceum whether it was a manifestation of magic or nature because no reagents at all were needed to cast it. There was, however, no doubt that it worked best with children and when the spellcrafter appeared willing to reinforce magic with physical punishment. Squirt stifled a yawn before a third invocation sent him tottering toward his cloak.
- ↑ Abbey, Lynn. The Forge of Virtue. Questar Fantasy: 1991. Pages 269-270.