Gilberto, from Ultima VII
Gilberto was on duty the night that the blacksmith Christopher and the gargoyle Inamo were murdered in the stables. As the killers made their escape to the docks, they ambushed him from behind and struck him unconscious. He was found by his relief, Johnson, early the following morning after the culprits' getaway.
The Avatar, having just returned to Britannia in the aftermath of the slayings, spoke to him while he was under the care of the healer, Chantu. Gilberto was still recovering from his head wound and seemingly had no memory of his attackers, but recalled that a ship named the Crown Jewel was due to depart for Britain at sunrise. This information could later be confirmed by Gargan the shipwright and proved a valuable lead in the murder case.
Gilberto eventually returned to duty at the harbour gate following his recovery.
- Gilberto's real world equivalent is Gilbert Pena.
- Gilberto is listed as the author of the book Struck Commander (an obvious play on Chris Robert's game Strike Commander) which features stories of its protagonists fighting terrorists and despots in flying carts.
- In the SNES Port of Ultima VII, the character Alfred replaces Gilberto.
- Johnson. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "murder".
- Gilberto. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "attackers, blow, Crown Jewel, Gargan, knocked".
- Randolph, Bill. Ultima: The Black Gate - Characters List. July 2, 1991.
- Gilberto. Struck Commander (Ultima VII - in-game).