Companions of the Avatar
The Companions of the Avatar are the eight potential party members to accompany the Stranger on the quest to attain Avatarhood in Ultima IV. Each is a member of one of the eight professions, and exemplifies one of the Eight Virtues. Depending on his or her own profession (character class) as determined during Character Creation, the Stranger will personally take the place of one of these potential party members in the party of eight: the companion representing the same class as the Stranger will not join the party, but will act normally otherwise.
Although recognized for their role in Ultima IV, the companions can be found (and often accompany the Avatar) in other Ultima titles.
- Mariah the mage (Honesty)
- Iolo the bard (Compassion)
- Geoffrey the fighter (Valor)
- Jaana the druidess (Justice)
- Julia the tinker (Sacrifice)
- Dupre the paladin (Honor)
- Shamino the ranger (Spirituality)
- Katrina the shepherdess (Humility)
|“|| A traveller in Britannia need not journey alone. In each town one may — indeed one ought to — converse with all the inhabitants. If thy personal philosophy of life is close to that of the town, then thou may ask one of the residents to join thy party. If amenable to your invitation, this person will travel with thee, aid thee, and fight with thee. He or she will stay loyal to thee only as long as thou stay true to thy beliefs. If at any time, through actions or deeds, thou stray from the Path, then thy companions will desert thee to thy Fate. Remember, these are Free Companions — not servants or mercenaries. Such is their faith in thee as their leader, that all gold and supplies held by the party is given into thy care for the good of all. Use this trust wisely!|
In Lynn Abbey's Ultima Saga, it is noted that the names of the companions were invariably not given to Virtue Peers' children because the companions lived unchanging from one generation of Peers to another.
|“|| From time to time Lord British has sought kindred spirits from his own world. Some of these invited folk remained with him as his near-ageless Companions while others came as heroes, completing a monumental quest before returning to their otherworldly homes. No hero left a greater legacy to Britannia than the Avatar who personified the eight virtues of humanity and whose life and quest remains an example for all Britannia.|
- from Dramatis Personae, (Ultima Saga: The Temper of Wisdom)
- The Companions of the Avatar are the in-game counterparts of Ultima creator Richard Garriott and various of his friends and acquaintances.
- Abbey, Lynn. The Forge of Virtue. Questar Fantasy: 1991. Page 8.
- DeMaria, Rusel et al. "A Conversation With Richard Garriott". Ultima: The Avatar Adventures. Prima Publishing: 1992. Pages 378–380.
|The Companions of the Avatar|
|The Companions||Mariah ☥ Iolo ☥ Geoffrey ☥ Jaana ☥ Julia ☥ Dupre ☥ Shamino ☥ Katrina|
|Party Members by Game|
|Game||Ultima IV ☥ Ultima V ☥ Ultima VI ☥ Savage Empire ☥ Martian Dreams ☥ Ultima VII ☥ Ultima VII Part Two|