Max, from Ultima VII
This article is about a character in Ultima VII. For other uses, see Max (disambiguation).
Max is the young son of Great Council member Miranda and famed Royal Theatre playwright-in-residence Raymundo. He appears in Ultima VII as one of several children tended to by the Royal Nursery.
Often found in the nursery of Castle Britannia or out playing in the company of Sherry the Mouse, Max was an energetic toddler with a penchant for performing. Still bearing a childhood lisp, the boy would pronounce his name as "Makth," and would claim to be a "funny boy" and a capable singer. Should the Avatar ask for a performance, Max would belt out a raucous rendition of "Old Lord British Had a farm." Should the hero further inquire as to his reputation as a "funny boy," however, the child would throw his pacifier at the confused Avatar, engaging in some manner of game in which the befuddled hero had to return his "binky."
During the catastrophe that befell Castle Britannia in Ultima Underworld II, Max and the other children of the nursery were away from the castle on a field trip with Boots, and thus avoided imprisonment within the Guardian's blackrock dome. His mother, Miranda, however, had the misfortune to have been caught within the castle during the assault, separating her from her son until such a time that the Avatar could free her.
- Max's portrait is based upon Max Benson, the real world son of the game's lead writer, Raymond Benson, who in turn gives his visage to Max's father Raymundo.
- If Nanna is present during a conversation with Max, she will correct his pronunciation of his name.
- Max, like all of the nursery children, will cut short conversations while in the midst of a game of tag.
- Raymundo. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "Max".
- Miranda. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "job,child".
- Max. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "job".
- Max. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "job,sing".
- Max. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "job, funny boy, binky".
- Nanna. Ethereal Dragon's Ultima Underworld II Transcript. Ultima Underworld II.
- Ultima VII: The Black Gate - Characters List. July 2, 1991.
- "“We wanted the game to last forever.” – An Interview with Raymond Benson". The Ultima Codex. March 28, 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-29.
- Max. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "name".