| The Gypsy
The Gypsy, from Ultima VI
The Gypsy is the person that sends the Stranger on the journey to become the Avatar, and thus an immensely important figure in Ultima lore.
Using the eight Cards of Virtue to pose a series of seven moral dilemmas, she uses the Stranger's answers to determine which virtue is favored the most at the beginning of the Quest of the Avatar in the Character Creation, as well as starting abilities.
The Avatar remembered meeting her in Ultima V and Ultima VI, although there is some disparity in the memory of her (more below). The Avatar met her again in Ultima IX.
There are significant differences in how the Gypsy determines the virtues of the Avatar, although the questions themselves are always the same.
- In Ultima IV, she uses regular cards and gives overview over the accepted and rejected virtues on an abacus with black and white stones.
- In Ultima V, she does use two incense bowls, showing the appropriate symbols of the virtues of the questions in the smoke.
- In Ultima VI she has eight potions whose colors match the virtues and mixes a special potion whose contents are determined by the answers. The Stranger drinks the potion.
- Ultima IX is special, as this is a new meeting, not remembering the first one. The Gypsy creates the illusion of two cards, which show the appropriate virtues of the current question.
The Ultima 6 Project
This is an Ultima 6 Project-related NPC article or section. The information within may not apply to Ultima VI or other Ultima games.
In the Ultima 6 Project, the Gypsy actually does give the Avatar a refresher on the virtues with her cards of virtue, before the hero arrives at the sacrifice scene. Also, the gypsy mysteriously is seen in the Ethereal Void at the end, watching the Codex return home, only to be scared away by the sudden appearance of the Guardian, forshadowing the events of Ultima VII.
- In Ultima IV, the answers determine the starting stats, magic abilities, place and equipment... as well as which companion cannot join the party.
- In Ultima V and VI, the answers determine the starting stats.
- In Ultima IX, the answers determine stating stats, mana storage and equipment.
- The Gypsy's appearance at the beginning of Ultima IX is identical to that of Morganna of Minoc.
- The MMORPG World of Warcraft pays homage to the Ultima series by including a fortune teller, Sayge at the Darkmoon Faire, who poses similar moral dilemmas. The answers to his questions determine which stats will receive a temporary "buff."
- In the manual for the NES port of Ultima IV, Hawkwind is depicted conducting the Virtue card reading in place of the Gypsy.