From Ultima III to Ultima VII, players were told to report to Lord British after they'd won the game. Reporting to Origin that you were victorious resulted in a Completion Certificate, with the player's name, sent by mail. These certificates are, today, highly sought-after collector's items. A certificate was also given for the Ultima Trilogy and Ultima Underworld, but strangely there is none for Ultima Underworld II.
There are several interesting bits about these certificates.
- The Ultima V certificate is a personal "Thank You" from Lord British for his rescue.
- The certificate to Ultima VI also contains a message in Gargish.
- The certificate for Ultima Underworld comes from Baron Almric and not only contains an apology but also official documentation of the Avatar's innocence in Arial's kidnapping.
- In the Ultima VII certificate, Lord British talks about how the moonstones were destroyed and that they'd try to find a way for the Avatar to return home.
- The Ultima VIII certificate indicates that originally, the Avatar didn't return to Britannia in the end.
Following is a gallery of all the completion certificates.
- There do exist two slightly different fan-made versions of the certificate for Ultima VII Part Two. Where Lord British promises to pick up the companions.