Blaine, from Ultima VI
A strongly built gypsy lad, Blaine was willing to entertain the Avatar with an exciting juggling display for a mere 5 gold pieces, keeping 3 flaming torches suspended in mid-air for the hero's amusement. He would also offer up information about Nicodemus's home for a mere gold coin, noting it was due east of Iolo's hut in the Deep Forest. Upon parting ways, Blaine would sing a romantic gypsy love song to entertain the Avatar on his travels. Worried about the gargoyle threat towards Britannia, Blaine offered to join the hero on their adventure, although, if asked to leave would sulk, feeling the Avatar unfairly discriminated against the gypsies.
Should the Avatar tease Kador, Blaine would refuse to speak with the hero until the dog received payment for its performance.
The Ultima 6 Project
In The Ultima 6 Project, Blaine will alternatively juggle a shoe, a dagger, and a life rabbit.
- If thrown out of the party, Blaine becomes quite angry and sulks.
- A "Blayne atte Wood the Juggler" appears in the rosters for the Society for Creative Anarchonism's barony of Bryn Gwlad - where Richard Garriott has been known to participate in the persona of Shamino Salle' Dacil. It may be that the Ultima VI character was based upon this person, given Garriott's penchant for giving his friends in the SCA in-game cameos. While little information is available to describe this individual, it is revealed in an account of an event known as "the Moustache War," that the Blayne atte Wood of Bryn Gwlad bore a striking mustache, a physical trait that is shared with Blaine's portrait in Ultima VI.
- Blaine. Ultima VI Transcript. Ultima VI. "name, job, join, jugg, advi, bye".
- The Barony of Bryn Gwlad. The March of Precedence of the Barony of Bryn Gwlad. Retrieved: 2010-10-07.
- Ansteorra History Wiki. The Moustache War. Retrieved: 2010-10-06.