Xiao, from Ultima VI
Xiao was a wise, scholarly woman who was willing to sell the Avatar spells and reagents. Xiao told the Avatar that she was a member of the Council of Wizards, an organization devoted to promoting the eight virtues and keeping the magic forces of Britannia in balance.
She was unwilling to teach spells of the eighth circle until the Avatar first sought out the Xorinite Wisp and learned their secrets. Afterwards, she felt the Avatar, being the champion of virtue, could be trusted to use such power wisely. She also suggested that the Avatar speak to Thariand to learn more about the shrines of Britannia. In the past she had tutored her apprentice Doris in the ways of magic.
The Ultima 6 Project
In The Ultima 6 Project, Xiao described Joren the reagent seller as a kind and gentle man, and she felt his Albino Ghoul Spiders were truly wonderful creatures. She had a small pet gremlin named Dobby, and a mongbat named Abyssus Incendia.
- Her prices in Ultima VI can be found at:
- Xiao's real world counterpart is Cheryl Chen, a programmer who worked on Ultima VI.
- In early drafts of Ultima VII, Xiao was to have returned as a mage heavily affected by the Tetrahedron Generator, believing the Avatar to be evil and attacking the party with misfiring comical spells.
- Dobby is named after a house elf from the Harry Potter series of books and films.
- Xiao. Ultima VI Transcript. Ultima VI. "name, job, buy, wisp, pow, avat, serv, prom, shri, thar, libr, forc".
- Dr. Cat. "Ultima Dragons 25th Anniversary Bash". Ultima Dragons 25th Anniversary Bash. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- Morris, Andrew. Ultima VII: The Black Gate - City Plots 2.5: Vesper, Moonglow, Empath Abbey/Yew. June 27, 1991. Page 4.