Ultima Codex:Noun Lexicon
This article is an appendix to the Style Guide.
This article contains the nouns which have been classified as proper and common, for the Codex's purposes.
Which nouns qualify as proper and common is somewhat subjective. Each language has its own standards by which nouns have fallen into their respective categories. Even Origin has been unable to be consistent about this issue. This article is the result of consensus over what nouns are to be treated as proper and common. It will never be complete, and all entries are subject to change. If you wish to add to the lexicon or modify an entry, discuss your ideas and reasoning on the talk page.
- 1 How to use this article
- 2 The lexicon of proper and common nouns
- 2.1 Proper
- 2.2 Common
How to use this article
Each entry is represented by a level 3 heading, an indication of the classification, and sometimes followed by a short description. Literal words are in quotes, and labels for families of words are without quotes. An example would be "Virtues" which means the word, while Virtues would be words like "Honesty", "Compassion", "Valor", etc. Entries are arranged in alphabetical order, with precedence given to non-quoted words.
The lexicon of proper and common nouns
Adjectives that denote origin or society
- Examples: Britannian, Ophidian, Gargish, Zealan.
Attributes or Stats
- Dexterity, Strength, Intelligence, Armour Class, and the like.
- Also the specific Principles of the Eight Virtues: Truth, Love, Courage.
- Also the specific Principles of the Ophidian Virtues: Balance, Order, Chaos.
- Also the specific Principles of the Gargish Virtues: Control, Passion, Diligence.
"Serpent" (Great Earth/Order/Chaos)
- Referring to the three Serpents of the Ophidian Virtues system. Also the specific Serpents: Great Earth Serpent, Order Serpent, Chaos Serpent.
- Including Britannian, Ophidian, Gargish, Zealan and Ambrosian. Also the specific Shrines, such as Shrine of Honesty, Shrine of Compassion, Shrine of the Codex, Shrine of Balance, Shrine of Dexterity, Shrine of the Ancient Ones, etc.
- All spell names, independent from the game or land they come from.
- Also the name of the system, the Eight Virtues, and the individual Virtues: Honesty, Honor, Compassion, Spirituality, Sacrifice, Justice, Valor, and Humility.
- Also the individual Gargish Virtues: Direction, Feeling, Persistence, Balance, Achievement, Precision, Order, Singularity.
See #Weapons and Armour.
- Referring to the columns in Ultima IX.
- And any mention of specific mantras; for example, "the mantra of Courage".
Weapons and Armour
- Common as a rule of thumb, such as the short sword in Ultima III, but others, such as the Hoe of Destruction is unresolved.
- Referring to the different whirlpools that appear in several of the games.