Teregus, from Ultima VII
Teregus tended the altars of Control, Passion and Diligence, leading those seeking their wisdom in meditation. For a donation of five gold coins he would perform personal mediation on behalf of others, and he stood in Terfin as a spiritual bulwark for those which clung to Gargish tradition. The position naturally put him at odds with the local Fellowship branch, and rumors eventually reached him that militant members of the group had made plans to destroy the shrines.
Should the Avatar agree to investigate such claims on Teregus' behalf, the hero would soon find that the only citizens with access to the explosives needed for the task were the provisioners, Betra and Sarpling. Upon searching the shop of Sarpling, the hero could uncover a note from Runeb, the local Fellowship branch clerk, which implicated both parties in the plot. When confronted, the frightened shopkeeper would claim to have been coerced, and would explain that Runeb hoped to depose the branch leader, Quan, by framing him for such a crime. Teregus, upon hearing such evidence, would charge the Avatar with the task of accusing Runeb. The violent official, realizing he had been discovered, would attack the hero, and likely met his end upon their sword.
Tragically, the Avatar could discover from Lord Draxinusom that Teregus had been the parent of Inamo, a young gargoyle who had been brutally murdered in Trinsic. Should the hero bring this unfortunate news to the shrinekeeper, the gargoyle would be shocked, having sent Inamo to Trinsic in the first place that he might avoid conflict with Fellowship members in Terfin. After hearing news of his child's death, Teregus would ask to be left alone for a time, needing to grieve in private for his dead son.
- Teregus might be translated from Gargish as "Leader of the Land" or "Diligence of the Land", assuming that the name is composed of the particles Ter-reg-us. However, Teregus, himself, does not give a meaning for his name, and it may be the case that this word has no specific Gargish translation.
- In the SNES Port of Ultima VII, Teregus will reward the Avatar should they resolve the issue of the plot to destroy the Pedestals, giving the hero information as to where to find a suit of Magic Armour in the Vesper desert.
- Teregus. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "altars, Fellowship, job, rumors".
- Betra. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "altars".
- Sarpling. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "Assassination plot!, found note".
- Runeb. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "altar destruction".
- Teregus. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "evidence, Quan, Runeb".
- Teregus. Underworld Dragon's Ultima VII Transcript. Ultima VII. "Inamo, murdered, too late".
- Teregus. Ultima VII SNES Transcript. Ultima VII. "evidence, item, Runeb".