Pirates Harbour was the last surviving human settlement on the planet Earth following the holocaust of 2111. It was likely created, not by survivors of the actual catastrophe, but rather by persons fleeing through Time Doors into the far future. Specifically, the city seemed to house the escaped remnants of the Soviet Union, as the trappings of the socialist nation could be found throughout the area. Buildings for the TASS and a "Ministry of Propaganda" were present, although the later had fallen into severe disrepair, and signs for the CCCP (the abbreviation for the USSR in its native Russian) were prominently displayed.
Several of the institutions of Pirates Harbour reflected the Soviet environment by including "Red" in their names. In addition to "da Red Skware" (likely referring to the original Red Square in Moscow), the town sported a shop known as Red Magic and even a Red Lobster. In addition to these establishments, Pirates Harbour hosted a shipyard, an airplane hangar, a barracks and a rocket launch site. A solitary church, with a sign reading "Catolik," stood in the southeast corner of the town, badly damaged from flooding.
The Stranger would ultimately find it necessary to abscond with one of the shuttles which were stored in Pirates Harbour, although doing so inspired the rage of "Da KGB," the guard force of the city which was possibly an offshoot of the original Soviet Committee for State Security.
- Chuckles the Bumble: a jester who later would become Lord British's personal entertainer
- Red the Pirate: a nefarious software pirate, offering up illicit versions of Ultima III
- Waren Beatty: an actor in search of Diane Keaton
- The Village Idiot: an individual, who, in spite of their name, offered the insightful suggestion of giving gold to the clerk at the "Hotel California"
- The mountainous walls in the water form the number "666", the legendary Number of the Beast from the eschatological Book of Revelations in the Christian Bible. This number also serves as the in-game coordinates of Earth.
- The arrangement of swords and shields in the center of Pirates Harbour may be a reference to the official emblem of the KGB, which contains a shield and a sword.
- Rollo, Mary Taylor. "The Story of Minax". The Second Age of Darkness (Ultima II). Sierra On-Line, Inc.: 1983. Page 14.
- Full Russian Name: Союз Советских Социалистических Республик
- Full Russian Name: Комитет государственной безопасности
|Ultima II Time Zones|
|1423 B.C.||Castle of Lord British ☥ Le Jester ☥ Towne Linda|
|1990 A.D.||Castle of Lord British ☥ New San Antonio ☥ Port Bonifice|
|Time of Legends||Shadowguard|