Helen Garriott was an artist, philanthropist, and the mother of Ultima creator Richard Garriott. Supportive of her son's ambitions, she was responsible for several early contributions to the series, including the original Akalabeth cover art, game design for Ultima II, illustration and editing for Ultima III booklets The Ancient Liturgy of Truth and The Book of Amber Runes, as well as the artwork featured on the cloth map of Sosaria included with the game. She also supplied the initial cover painting for Ultima III (seen below), before it was decided instead to commission a piece by Denis Loubet based on her design.
Helen Garriott died on September 5, 2017, aged 87.
- The town of Helen in the Lands of the Feudal Lords (Ultima I) is named after Helen Garriott. Her husband, Owen, and daughter, Linda, are similarly paid tribute with eponymous cities of their own.
- Garriott, Richard. "Richard Garriott on Twitter". Twitter. 2015-11-20. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- Leonardo's Children's Museum. 2017-09-08. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Helen GARRIOTT Obituary - Austin, TX". Legacy.com. 2017-09-08. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Hearth of Britannia Dragonsmeet 2014-05-12". YouTube. 2014-05-12. Retrieved 2017-09-09.