Cheating in Ultima VII
Ultima VII has quite a few cheats. There is a built-in cheat menu, an entire location dedicated to cheating (more likely, a developer test zone), and other separate cheats available.
- 1 Cheat menu
- 2 Endgame
- 3 Cheat Rooms
- 4 Separate cheats
- 4.1 Free Experience
- 4.2 Free Expendables
- 4.3 Potion Trick
- 4.4 Killing Batlin
- 4.5 Resurrecting Alagner
- 4.6 Stealing Items Without Your Companions Fussing
- 4.7 Filling up on Potions
- 4.8 OD-ing Your Way to God-hood
- 4.9 Having fun with both Batlin and Lord British
- 4.10 Hidden Chest near Trinsic
- 4.11 The ultimate Lockpick
- 4.12 Entering the Cube Generator
- 5 Ways to make lots of $$$
Start the game from the command line with:
(Hold down [Alt] and press 255 on the numeric keypad, NumLock must be enabled, it seems to create an empty space) and you will get a cheat menu.
- Cheat menu: Press [F2] during game play.
- Teleport map: Press [F3] during game play.
- Steal items: Press [Alt] + 4 and click on a person to force them to drop all items.
- Hack mover- Move any onscreen object (even ground tiles)
- Power Avatar- Unlimited hitpoints, spellpoints, reagents, etc...
- Edit NPC- Edit almost every aspect of a npc's stats or physical state (ex. solid\ethereal\swim\fly)
- Spells (1-72) ex: in SI, 12 is Great Light, 23 is Translate: Press [F5] during game play.
- Identify item targeted with the crosshairs (click left mouse button when mouse pointer changes to a crosshair): Press [F9] during game play.
- Main article: Ultima VII Create Item List
You can create most any item in the game. Activate the cheat menu as above, then use F2 to access the menu. Use (C)reate Item to make something. Read more about it in the fitting article, as noted above.
Lord British Cheater Fury
If you teleport to 209,407,0 Lord British will warp in and start attacking you and calling you a cheater. When you try to access the cheat menu, all it will say is 'oink!'. Additionally, all NPCs have turned into vegetables and the companions give off bizarre rants when being talked to.
House of the Dead
Teleport to 5a8,508,0 and you will come to a house that contains all the people you have killed. The game had to put them somewhere!
IF you want to see the endgame of Ultima VII, you need to start the game with ENDGAME EREIAMJH
Main Cheat Room
There are several ways to access the Ultima VII Cheat Room:
- Locate the dead blacksmith's shop in the bottom left corner of Trinsic, the first town. Climb on the roof by stacking the crates that are available throughout various buildings in town. Walk to the back of the chimney to be transported to the cheat room.
- When the game starts make your way out of town by doing everything right. Then go down to the left corner of the map where the Harpies are. Kill them, then take the "Dad's" dead body by the nest and go to the city of Britain. Go to the left side of the city where the two Gargoyles live. Now, take and place the dead body under a tree to the right of the Gargoyles house. Put it sorta to the left of it, but sorta under it. Now, walk on it and you will be transported to the cheat room.
In the Cheat Room, you will find 8 suits of magic armor, 2 Death Scythes, a Juggernaut Hammer, a Hawk (it's a weapon), 2 magic axes, lots of magic rings, a spell book with all the spells, 1000 gold, 100 lockpicks, 100 of each reagent, Rudyom's Wand, the three prisms and a Hoe of Destruction. There are also teleporters to most all of the major locations in the game plot as well as nearly every item critical to finishing the game.
_____________________________________________________________________________ N |_| |:|You can land the magic carpet beside the second tree | _ |:|at the east side of Britain and walk into the tree | | | + |:|to get to the cheat room. W----+----E | | +<---|:| | |_| |:| | ____|:| S ___|::::::| _|::::::::::| ___________|::::::::::::|
Skara Brae Cheat Room
There is a chamber in the graveyard in Skara Brae, which contains all items required in the quest there, Magic Armour, Rings and a Death Scythe. There is a lever just visible behind the statue to the west of the Tomb of Marney, which opens the secret door to enter. You have to know that there are numerous plot items here, thus it is cheating.
Isle of Fire Item Cache
In the Test of Love, flip the switch next to the Stone of Castambre. Then go back into the caves to the north. A secret passage will have opened that leads to a room with a Death Scythe, 9 Glass Swords and a Firedoom staff. Unlike the first two caches however, this ones contains no quest items and therefore can be obtained during a normal games without causing problems.
After refusing, speak with him again and accept the errand. He will give you a sealed box to take to Minoc. As long as you do NOT deliver the box, this cheat will work.
After getting the box, talk to Batlin again. At the end of the conversation, he will ask you to deliver the box again. When you say yes, everyone in the party will gain 100 Experience Points. You can repeat this as often as you like, but only so long as you do not deliver the box.
This cheat is used in conjunction with the "Free Experience" cheat involving Batlin.
Once you enable that cheat, open a character's inventory and pick any item that has a quantity -- gold, arrows, reagents, etc. The item has to pull up the 'quantity' check box when you move it. Put this item on the ground, and select the entire quantity.
Once you have done that, talk to Batlin. When you accept the mission, not only will everyone get another 100 Experience, but also the item that you dropped on the ground will be duplicated in your inventory with the same quantity.
(Example: Put 100 gold pieces in the Avatar's hand, then put them on the floor. Talk to Batlin, and the Avatar will have another 100 gold pieces in his hand.)
This cheat will work with ANY item that has a quantity (i.e., it shows a number when you click on it). I would recommend putting a few barrels on the flying carpet so you can haul around all the gold, arrows, and whatnot you stock up.
To make fights easy, you can use a green potion on your enemy to poison it, and/or you could use a blue potion to make it go to sleep.
To kill Batlin, hit him with Death Bolt while he is conducting the Fellowship service at 8PM.
Get to the point in the game where Alagner gives you the key to his shed. Now, kill him and carry his body with you. Get to the point where you give Alagner's notebook to the Wisps. Now, return to New Magincia and find Alagner's body. Now you can cast resurrection on Alagner's body (the one you have been carrying around), or you can have Lord British do it.
Stealing Items Without Your Companions Fussing
Your companions will often complain if you steal items or eat food that is not yours. To stop them from complaining, always put stolen items in their backpacks. Likewise, if you want to eat someone else's food, first place it in your companion's backpack.
Filling up on Potions
Normally, potions are quite expensive to buy and can't be found often, despite their usefulness. However, there is an easy way around this. Nicodemus in Cove is always busy with brewing potions. Simply follow above rules about stealing and you can fill up your potion stores easily (although you sometimes have to wait for him to produce the right one). If he becomes too agitated by your stealing, leave and return later.
OD-ing Your Way to God-hood
Silver serpent venom (a fantasy-equivalent to anabolic steroids) temporarily boosts a user's STR, DEX and INT. After a brief period, though, they all fall slightly. Using far too much SSV at one time on a character, though, causes an interesting reaction. The drop in stats is so great, it rolls over into negative numbers that the game cannot handle, and the character winds up with a STR of approximately 150. The other two stats remain approximately normal.
Be warned, this massive boost can cause interesting problems of its own.
Having fun with both Batlin and Lord British
- Use the Exult cheat menu and toggle God Mode and ArchMage Mode. Now use the Armageddon spell in LB's presence. Then attack him. He will start to attack you without mercy even if you use charm on him. Using sleep on him will just cause him to continue to attack you after he wakes up. The only way to make him friendly towards you again is to kill him by luring him into the courtyard and having the plaque fall on his head. Resurrect him afterwards and he will be friendly again. Of course, all he will talk to you about is your irresponsible usage of the Armageddon spell.
- Use the Exult pickpocket cheat on Lord British and you will find not only his Will, but also a lightning in his right hand. You can take it and arm it for yourself, but not be able to use it as an attack method.
- Using this same pickpocket cheat with Batlin will reveal him to have a fireball in his left hand, and a tuft of sparkles in his right. At this point, Batlin can now only attack you with his bare hands and start screaming for help.
Hidden Chest near Trinsic
This one is well-known, still it is kind-of cheating.
South of Trinsic, there is a chest hidden beneath a yellow marple tree at 129°S 3°W just a little north of the coast. You find the fitting key under a rock just a little to SE (its under the one rock that's darker than the others, sitting near the tree line). Inside the chest is good equipment (magic armour and weapons as well as money) but no actual plot items. Interestingly, that key can also open the shed where you find the Hoe of Destruction.
The ultimate Lockpick
On a small island south of spiritwood, in a hut with some slaughtered cats, you do find a big key. This is the ultimate lockpick, which never breaks. Using this one, you never have use for ordinary lockpicks ever again.
Entering the Cube Generator
Now, normally, the Cube Generator is surrounded by a sonic defense that kills every and any character that tries to go near, unless protected. However, the mechanism is flawed when Forge of Virtue is installed (nowadays all issues of Ultima VII). The maximum HP before that was 30, so the sonic defense was programmed to be deadly relative to that maximum value. However, after FoV, the Avatar has an HP of 60 and the programmers didn't reprogramm the defense, meaning you can pass into the generator without problem, although it does kill your entire party, so it's not exactly a smart thing to do.
Ways to make lots of $$$
Rob the Bank
A good way to make some money is to rob the Britain Mint. To do this, first find the Mint woman's house, take the first key from it and then kill her in her sleep. Next, take the keys off her corpse and use them to enter the Mint at night. Now, help yourself to all the gold bars and nuggets lying around and keep care not to be caught by the guards. Finally, have Lord British resurrect the woman and talk to her at the mint. She will give you many coins for your stack of gold bars/nuggets.
Rob the Jewelry Store
At night, smash open the door to the Britain Jewelry Store. Now, smash all the glass containers and take all the jewels. In the day, sell all the jewels back to the owner. He won't notice a thing.
The House of Games
Fellowship wins allFellowship, bet equal amounts of gold on each rat in the casino race of the House of Games. The payback for a Fellowship member is 6 to 1, so you always profit. You only have to wear the medallion (and you must have joined for real).
However, be warned that creating too much money will crash the game!
Rien ne va plus
Another method takes advantage of the game's programming. If you want to have MUCHO money, go to the House of Games in Buccaneer's Den. Bet your money on one color in The Spinning Wheel, and then spin the wheel. Wait until the wheel is milliseconds before stopping, then open the inventory, and move your money to the winning color. And voilá! 600 gold pieces instead of 100!
You also can do this to win more money than usual with The Spinning Wheel. The first thing that you have to do is NOT lay money down, but let the wheel spin awhile. As the wheel spins, you have to SAVE the game. After you have saved to game, look which color it becomes. LOAD the game and bet your money on that color you have seen.
Since this kind of cheating in the house of games was obviously not intended by the programmers, it is a cheat to get money fast.
|Game|| Ultima III ☥ Ultima IV ☥ Ultima V ☥ Ultima VI ☥ Underworld ☥ Ultima VII ☥ Underworld II ☥ Ultima VII Part Two ☥ Ultima VIII ☥ Ultima IX|
Ultima VII SNES ☥ Runes of Virtue ☥ Runes of Virtue II