Candle of Love
Age of Enlightenment
The Candle first appeared during the Stranger's quest toward Avatarhood, where it lay within the Temple of Virtue in the then hidden settlement of Cove. Likely having been directed hither by the words of the sapient ankh, Life, and the advice of the sage, Brother Antos, the aspirant hero retrieved the relic from where it lay enshrined, later using it in conjunction with the Book of Truth and the Bell of Courage to open the mouth of the Abyss.
Age of Armageddon
It is not known what happened to the Candle of Love after its use in the course of the Stranger's enlightenment, although the artifact later resurfaced centuries later, among the ruins of Empath Abbey. During the time of Ultima IX, the Avatar used the Candle (as well as the Book and Bell) in the ritual of Reunite Body and Soul, that they might reconnect the wandering soul of Shamino to his body, after it had become ensnared in the Ethereal Void by the Guardian.
- The Book, Bell and Candle are traditional symbolic devices used in the ceremony to seal an excommunication in the medieval Roman Catholic Church. After condemning an excommunicant, a bell would be rung as a symbolic death toll; a book would be closed to signify separation from the church; and a candle would be snuffed to represent the extinguishing of the condemned individual's soul.
- In Ultima IV, retrieving the Candle grants (only) the player's character 400 XP.
- A modification by Marzo Sette Torres Jr. for the Exult utility for Ultima VII: The Black Gate places the Candle of Love in Empath Abbey.
- DeMaria, Russel et al. Ultima: The Avatar Adventures. Prima Publishing: 1992. Pages 43.
- Life (NPC). Underworld Dragon's Ultima IV Transcript. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. "candle".
- Brother Antos. Underworld Dragon's Ultima IV Transcript. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. "candle".
- Shamino's Journal (Ultima IX: Ascension - in-game).
- "Bell, book, and candle". Wikipedia. Retrieved 2011-04-15.